Scoot Hard DX will come out Friday, April 16th, 2021! Come Get Some Wing!
Beta Version 3.1 is out. It fixes a critical bug in the weapon system, adds a new jingle for the secret and a bunch of other sounds, as well as some new music tracks.
Note: Some antiviruses might raise concerns about WIGZDoom. While it is safe, if you prefer, you can just run the IPK3 with your copy of GZDoom.
After a long wait, Scoot Hard DX is in Beta 3 – and it’s feature complete. The only thing that needs done absolutely is the rest of the music and some polishing touches.
The major changes from 2.8.3a:
- Chicken Mode remembers your health if it’s above 100, and restores it back when you unmorph
- Difficulty balance has been tweaked to better scale and not be so difficult.
- Redid armor system to be more reliable. It now acts like a health buffer for certain damage types
- New Scootaloo VA. We welcome Victoria Prater to the team as Scootaloo
- Another new VA is Dane/Movieunleashers as the Engineer
- Reworked and redrew the Tornadozer to fire tons of mini-tornadoes for the primary fire, while keeping the classic secondary tornado attack which homes in on enemies
- Redid all the textures, added skyboxes
- Added brightmaps to many things
- All levels are present and playable in the game. We added E2M3, E2S1, E3M1, and retooled/recolored a bunch of levels and boss battles to make them as quality as possible
- End Credits completely redone
- Redid a bunch of sounds, balanced others
- Redid how heating up applesauce works, less hacky way of doing it thanks to ZScript
- Added better gib effects for both ponies and mechanical stuff, including the ice shattering effect
- Jettisoned old explosion code, which was jank
- More music was done for Episode 2 and 3
- Several bugfixes
- Switched to WIGZDoom
- Many other changes I can’t remember
As Scoot Hard DX development continues on, we decided to bring back WIGZDoom – or WI/GZDoom as I prefer to stylize it.
WI/GZDoom is just simply our in-house fork of GZDoom. It’s feature compatible with dev builds of GZDoom, but has some default settings that we prefer by default, but can’t do in DEFCVARS.
It also features a snazzy icon, the classic WIGZDoom icon for now.
If you want to see what’s up, here’s the fork’s Github repo. It’s available under the GPLv3 license, just like GZDoom. Take that for what you will.
It will be available with the next build of Scoot Hard DX, replacing the stock GZDoom.
PS: I’m still using WIGZDoom as the executable’s window name and any references to it, I want to change the name to WI/GZDoom in the source code itself at some point. Don’t be alarmed.
During the early days of Daytime Drama 1’s development, and even back in the days of Scoot Hard DX’ development, I had a source port I used called Waffle Iron GZDoom, or WIGZDoom. There was not much to it, except it changed a few keybinds, made mouselook on by default, removed default GZDoom IWAD definitions, and changed icons, savegame and INI signatures and a few other things to make it unique to GZDoom. This helped make it so it wouldn’t conflict with other GZDoom installs.
However, at some point GZDoom matured to the point I no longer felt the need to have a fork, so I deleted the source port. However, someone expressed interest in it – source port historian Redneckerz over at the ZDoom Forums expressed interest in it. It was brought to my attention I probably should have kept the source code up to be kosher with the GPLv3 even though I deleted the binaries.
Well, today we’re in luck. I found a copy of the source code and a build on an old backup drive while I was cleaning up unneeded files, and I have uploaded it for posterity’s sake.
If I ever make WIGZDoom again, I’ll refork it based on a more modern GZDoom branch.
I have no idea if this will build or how to build it. I guarantee it will NOT run any iteration of the projects as I’ve updated them to work with more modern versions of GZDoom.
Still, a curious part of Waffle Iron’s history and I’m glad now it’s not completely lost to history.
NOTE: We updated the beta to 2.8.3a which features a lot more content. Changes include:
- E2M1, E2M2, E2M4 and E2M5 have all been given major overhauls
- E3M2 and E3M3 has been adjusted. We’re still working on balance these
- New voice actress for Surprise, the lovely CakeofRage has come on as the voice of Surprise
- Some new Dr. Atmosphere and Maimbow Lines. We’re still working on adjusting the levels on these
- Introducing the not-patented Vox Voiceover Subsystem. The bosses taunt you remotely! In Episode 2 it’s Dr. Atmosphere, in Episode 3 it’s Maimbow
- Some lore changes. Nothing too major, mainly the relationship of Surprise and Dr. Atmosphere has been changed. You are all forbidden from making jokes about this
- Tweaked Surprise and Dr. Atmosphere’s boss fights a bit
- Tweaked the AI for the enemies a bit to accomodate underwater sections, as well as fix the jumping issues. Enemies should work underwater and jump more reliably now
- Fillyseeker has new design to help distinguish it from Missile Launcher more
- Tornadozer overhaul. Primary fire one hits most things. Secondary fire lets loose it’s classic homing, seeking tornado
- Many other changes
Check it out!
Me and my team have been working on polishing a prototype unearthed from back in 2014 – Scoot Hard DX: Daytime Drama Zero, a prequel to the first Daytime Drama and another standalone project for GZDoom.
We weren’t intending this to be a big project, but it grew to something bigger as more people got involved with testing. It’s more than a small prequel at this point, it’s even better than DD2 is (at DD2’s current development).
WARNING: This game is for mature audiences only. Contains wanton and gratuitous violence, strong language, politically incorrect humor, and themes of authoritarianism.
You can try out Beta 2.8.3a here (Requires Windows 7/8/8.1/10 64-bit, with OpenGL 3.3+ or Vulkan. Softpoly sort of works but is unsupported by me)
Loosely based on the Rainbow Factory song and fanfic, play as Scootaloo as she takes on the Cloudsdale Weather Corporation all by herself. Take on a whole army of Cloudsdale’s “finest”. Fight with eight deadly weapons from the Missile Launcher to the massively powerful Rainbower. Fight against three bad bosses – including the head of the Cloudsdale Weather Corporation themselves, across over ten levels of non-stop action that will blow you sky high.
This is a beta (Beta 2.8.3a), and isn’t feature complete. Several enemies are missing, some voicework needs redone, and alot of the levels still need tons of work (mainly layout/balance issues, plus the Doom 64 style lighting). We plan on having most of that by Beta 3.0. We plan on having future betas after that which more polish, more music and more voicework is done. However, here’s a list of what we got so far:
- Over ten levels of non-stop action across various Cloudsdale owned facilities, both in the sky and on the surface, from office buildings to resource mines, from icy glaciers to the weather facility itself.
- Custom Soundtrack by Metal Neon influenced by the works of Aubrey Hodges, Alexander Brandon and David Wise.
- Advanced features built on the Daytime Drama 1 and 2 codebases.
- Experience glorious ScootSpeak™ when you kill enemies in the most ludicrous manner (you can turn it off).
- Eight weapons across four categories – Bullet Weapons, Missile Weapons, Weather Weapons and Big Weapons. You can carry both bullet weapons and one of each of the other weapons. Strategize which one is best for the job at hand.
- Enemies with different AIs react to different weapons in different ways – Low Guards to Zombies, Pegapol to Enforcers. Try each weapon with each enemy type to figure out each one’s weakness!
- Turn into an invulnerable chicken who has the power to
deny feature requestsrend their flesh, or blow their eardrums out with a ClusterCluck™
- Glide around the map and do some neat tricks to get to secrets, engage in overhead combat, or just perform some cool stunts.
- Dynamic boss battles that require more than circlestrafing.
- Loads of Interactivity – destroy lots of objects and use vending machines for health.
- Fully voiced bosses.
- Powerful ZScript code, available under a permissive 3-clause BSD license.
We’ll be working on alot of stuff for Beta 3, like replacing some of the existing levels and rebalancing existing ones, and some other gubbins. One of the things I’m unfortunately looking into is a new VA for Scootaloo as her original VA, Alabeanz, I have not been able to get ahold of, and they’ve been missing for some time (I haven’t seen them post on their Tumblr in over a year). I’m hoping they’re okay, wherever they are. We might have a lead on one, I’ll be sure to update if we hear anything.
Here’s some screenshots taken earlier of the first four levels.
Scoot Hard, friends.
Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance.Laurie Hause
Censorship is the enemy of creativity, since it cuts off the life blood of creativity: ideasAllan Jenkins
Censorship is to art as lynching is to justiceHenry Louis Gates
Requires Windows x64. If you wanna run it in your own copy of GZDoom, use the IPK3 file (ddrama.ipk3)
If you use your own copy of GZDoom, this game is meant to be played with freelook always on, and jump enabled… and no compatibility settings.
Sanya K. Waffles of the Boredomdai Civil Defence has to take down a cult of despair-loving chaos beings, crooked cops, all lead by Junko Enoshima. Worse off, many of Sanya’s friends are being held hostage.
- 12 Huge Levels – a truck stop, junkyard, the suburbs, a grocery store, and a hospital to name a few
- High-res sprites – all the enemies are drawn using Adobe Animate for a nice cartoony look
- Bizarre enemies – the buddy bear, bonzibuddy, knockoff Garfields… politically messed up unicorns… and the iconically horrible Dontrel the Dolphin to name a few
- Build-like features come to GZDoom – destructible walls, one-liners, interactive props, and tons of detail
- Takes advantage of ZScript – was one of the early adopters of ZScript, a new low-level programming language for GZDoom Engine. Many of Daytime Drama’s functions couldn’t be possible, or would be very difficult without it
- Tons of humor and horror – inspired by games like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood, this game doesn’t skimp out on the references, humor, and blood and guts!
- Music By RodScorpion – custom made electronic music for the game!
Me and my team have been hard at work on Daytime Drama 2. I’m gonna be preparing a semi-public beta test by the years end and a massive info dump is looming, so stay tuned.
Here’s some news in the meantime.
First and foremost, I am hosting RodScorpion’s AmateurZ webcomic now. This is in line with my goal of Waffle Iron Studios being very much being the video game and webcomic answer to Troma – truly independent game mods, projects and webcomics. It’s got a neat premise, and I’m privvy to some of the details of the story, and it’s a perfect addition to the site. RodScorpion, as some of you may know, is my friend and musician for the Daytime Drama series of games. You can find it here.
Second, I updated Daytime Drama to version 1.12 which fixes some issues with the project I overlooked as well as updating the engine to a 4.5pre devbuild which fixes some stability issues. You can find it here.
We got a future roadmap, and when DD2 is officially revealed we’re going to talk more about our plans for what we want to achieve here at Waffle Iron Studios. Alot of people have been volunteering to help me, and I want to go commercial someday – but stay as independent as possible so we can make provocative, truly funny and intelligent works without being hindered by either corporate nonsense or draconian censorship – be it right wing or left wing. We want to be truly independent.